The Irish Roots Cafe…
Where Every Day’s A Holiday !
Sweaney clear the floor, Katie bar the door,
It’s the Irish Family History show #208
Shownotes from www.Irishroots.com
“When I was a young lad, of 7 or so, with me
turf and me primer to school I did go, we
went to a school house without any door…..”
Show #208 Today at the Irish Roots Cafe:
1) Name of the Day: O’Brien
2) Searching for: Green, McDonnell,
3) Web Page: Clare County Library Sources
4) Books of the Month: County Clare genealogy
5) Video of the Day: Cliffs of Moher
6) Curious News: New Titantic Tickets sold out
7) Note: Irish Community Archive Network
One of a Kind Books, Broadcasts, Blogs and CD’s:
History; Language, Song; Genealogy; Irish-America
with 300 podcasts, and Hedge School Courses!
1- Todays Topics
2- This Week at the Cafe
3- Books of the Month
4- The Magnificent Seven
5- Irish Family Name of the Day
6- Curious News, Notes and Videos
Total Audio Time: 25:50
This Enhanced Irish Family History podcast with
photos and links will be found here when posted:
Our Regular audio only podcast will post here:
This week at the Cafe:
1) We are now forming a group of Irish language
Sean Nós singers, as well as singers of Irish ballads!
Here is our new Irish ‘band’ page at reverbnation:
Click the link above and like our page please !!
2) Correcting our County Kilkenny genealogy book:
Printers scanning error left some of the already
aging pages nearly blank, so its back to the
presses for that one that had just been rerun !
If you ordered directly from me in the last month
or so let me know and I can send you those pages
Would you take a trip on the titanic today ?
and… how much would you pay !
#1 in Irish genealogy books, videos & broadcasts !
Books of the Month:
1) Families of County Clare, Ireland.
Hardbound collection of family histories.
2) Genealogy and Family History of County Clare
Spiral bound aid for research in County Clare.
( with color map now added ! )
3) My other favorites are: ‘Houses of Clare”;
and Histories of Clare by Frost; and by White.
Three Things to Remember:
Our Free Podcast at www.Irishroots.com 24/7.
Our Blog reader: a computer voice reads the blog.
The Blog itself, online any time, night or day !
Raise our eyes skywards,
give thanks, & ask for help !
Todays Magnificent 7 Members
1. Bernadette Sanders of Machaisport, ME
your Families of Co. Donegal have shipped !
2. David Bessert of Roselle, IL. your Co. Donegal
genealogy and family history notes have shipped !
3. Sharon Stites, of Naples, Florida.
Welcome as a full member!
Search for birth record of John Joseph Green
in Co. Clare, townland Ballycotteen North. 1901
census show b. 1892 but can find no record that
year, just 1894.
4. Rebecca M. Burke of East Falmouth, MA, your
County Cavan & Leitrim, Ireland book shipped !
5. Colleen Henry of Etobiocoke, Canada welcome
as a new member, your Donegal books have shipped !
6. George McDonnell your Missouri Irish book shipped!
7. James Blocker of Greenville, N. Carolina, your
Families of County Clare have shipped !
Thanks to all of our members – without you our
Books, Blogs and Broadcasts would not be at all !
The Ancient Family Song
“Three weeks ago last Tuesday I left me home in
Cork, to find me uncle Tom O’Brien
livin’ in New York.”
Irish Family Name of the Day:
Todays family history in honor of :
Thomas J. O’Brien of Hamden, CT.
Related Spellings of the Name:
Bryan, Brian, O’Bryan, O’Brian, Briene, Breen,
Varient Spelling Groups: #153; 176; 1233; 1642; 2118
‘Guide to Various Spellings of Irish Family Names’
History of the Name
(from ‘Families of County Clare’ Ireland)
Most of us know about O’Briens Tower there in
County Clare, right on the Cliffs of Moher, ( and one
day that cliff will eventually chip off and leave the
tower no more !) Here is a sample of info from
my Families of Clare book:
Kings of Thomand ?
“The O’Briens were the ruling family of Thomand
(which included Co. Clare). from the time of the
first of the name, Brian Boru. First among the
Dalcassions families of Co. Clare, they retained
power as such until exchanging the title of ‘King
of Thomand’ for the English title ‘Earl of Thomand’
Seat of the O’Briens
In Drumcliff Parish, Clonroad became the principal
seat of the O’Briens around 1200 a.d. when they
built a circular earthen fort there. About the year
1240, Donogh Cairbreach O’Brien built a beautiful
monastery for conventual Franciscan friars at Ennis…..”
(this is continued on in the book.)
Assuming more powers
By the way, I have a copy of the legal agreement
where The OLoglins of Clare signed away their rights
to the O’Brien of Clare, back in the 17th century.
I’ll bet ya it should be ‘O’Loughlins Tower’ instead
of O’Briens, but enough said…. .
Irish Coats of Arms From the Irish Book of Arms
A Brief search of the above work shows:
1) Four illustrations of arms for O’Brien, including
those of Counties, Clare, Limerick, and Thomand.
Irish Hedge School Courses now on CD:
Free Master online index at www.Irishroots.com
Shows the name (149) numerous times, including:
1) O’Briens in the Colony of Georgia (J-14)
2) O’Briens Country in ‘Families of Co. Clare, Ireland.’
3) Billy O’Brien and numerous others in in
“ Irish Families on the California Trail.”
4) O’Brien Burial Place in Annals of Ireland by 4 Masters
5) Owen O’Brien in Co. Clare genealogy & family history…
6) M. O’Brien in Pynnars Survey (Special Census…)
7) D. O’Brien in ‘Missouri Irish’ book
Free index to search for your family name:
(Leave off Mac or O when typing in your name.)
Curious News and Notes from around the world:
( Links to each item below are found on our blog)
1) Video of the Day. O’Briens Tower, Cliffs of Moher
2) This Video has some Original Titanic Video shots:
3) Story: – The Broke O’Briens make eBay money ?
First sell the TV !
4) Genealogy at the Clare County, Ireland, Library !
Genealogy & Family History
Literature & Song
Places and Placenames
5) Clare Heritage and Genealogy Centre
“County Clare, situated on the west coast of Ireland in
the province of Munster suffered greatly from
emigration over the last two hundred years. Between
the years 1850 and 1880 an estimated 112,000 people
emigrated from Co. Clare. By comparison the present
population stands at just under 90,000.”
6) 35,000 order Titanic centre tickets in Belfast
Titanics 100th Anniversary also spawns a new
Titanic Memorial Cruise up to $9,000 per ticket ?
7) Irish Community Archive Network
Showcasing local history from across the island of Ireland
That’s all folks, please do support the Irish Hedge
School, complete with our Books, Blogs, Podcasts,
and CD’s at www.Irishroots.com
And a Bi..g Thank you to all of our Members !
Worlds Leading audio source for Irish Genealogy
~ with 7 Broadcast series & 300 episodes ~
Reach the Irish Roots Cafe on Twitter; Facebook;
www.IrishRoots.com; and by mail at:
The Irish Roots Cafe
Kansas City, Missouri 64116
Leave a message on our Phone (816) 256-3360
Contact us for speaking engagements,exhibits,
Sean Nós song, and special events. Since 1984.
©2012 IGF, This information is intended
for personal non-commercial use only.
About Your Host
Mike is the most published author in his field, with
books; newsletters; podcasts; and videos at:
He descends from the O’Loughlins of Co. Clare, and
the O’Donahues of Glenflesk, Co. Kerry.
Learn More About the Irish Hedge School online at:
Comments Off on O’Brien genealogy, Co. Clare Ireland, Titantic ticket, Archives