Advance Shownotes episode 193
Among Todays Topics at the Irish Roots Cafe:
1) Family of the Day: Noone
2) Irish County of the Month: Galway
3) Search For: Cody, Donnelly, Gilfillan, Carter
4) Curious News: Australian convicts return to Cobh
5) Page: 99% of Nat Library holdings stored improperly
6) Curious Note: Irelands first female Chief Justice
7) One minute podcast: Irish Family History CD
Listen to all of our podcasts at www.Irishroots.com
We have three types of podcasts:
1) Free for all 2) archived (fee) 3) Members only podcasts
Irish Family History and Genealogy
with curious news and notes from Ireland.
From the Irish Roots Cafe at www.Irishroots.com
This Weeks Audio Timeline
Todays Topics: 1:00
Notes from Mike: 2:00
One Minute Podcast: 4:00
Book of the Month: 6:30
The Magnificent Seven: 9:30
Irish Name of the Day: 11:30
Websites of the Week: 16:30
Curious News and Notes: 18:30
Total Time: 25:50
Our Enhanced Irish Family History podcast with photos and
links can be found at:
Notes This Week:
What’s happening today at the Irish Roots Cafe
1) The first workshop of its kind was completed a few
weeks back in Kansas City. Brían Ó hAirt, was the teacher
for the Irish Language and Culture Immersion Weekend!
He sings in the Irish band Bua. His Sean Nós Dance Video:
2) We are preparing for the Dublin, Ohio Irish fest the
first weekend of August, and hope to see some of you
there ! We will also be doing the national launch of our
Hedge School CD masters program ! Let me know below
if you want a specific book or CD on hand for you….
We’ll be at the genealogy tent again this year !
(12 years straight)
3) Maria has started up a session of Irish Songs on First
Sundays of every month. Very good program, and of course
bring your instrument if you want accompaniment. It will
be Sean Nós for me, so accompaniment is optional !
It’s all down at the Irish Center at the Union Station in
K.C.MO. From 1:00 to 4:00 or so…
One Minute Podcast
Let’s listen to one of our 7 podcast series’ on Song; Recitation;
Travel; History; Irish-America; or Irish language.
Todays Podcast extract is from
Our “Irish Family History and Genealogy” CD
For more podcasts like todays sample extract,
check out our Irish Masters Genealogy CD program for beginners:
Irish Family History: http://www.irishroots.com/content/view/97/152/
Photo Enhanced version: http://www.irishroots.com/content/view/103/156/
Irish in America: http://www.irishroots.com/content/view/98/154/
Irish Song /recitation: http://www.irishroots.com/content/view/99/153/
Irish Video Shorts: http://www.irishroots.com/content/view/104/157/
Irish Hedge Row History: http://www.irishroots.com/content/view/105/158/
Hello Fada, Irish language: http://www.irishroots.com/content/view/106/159/
We publish more Irish genealogy books, podcasts and CDs
than anyone else in the world !
Books of the Month:
1) Families of County Galway, Ireland
Our hardbound volume on family history in Co. Galway.
2) County Galway genealogy and family history notes.
Our 2nd book on Galway from the Irish Families Project.
This is the spiral bound volume, different from the book above.
Three Things to Remember:
We Have a Podcast (a radio show on the net, available 24/7.
We Have a Blog reader, where a computer voice reads the blog.
We Have the Blog itself, which can be read any time night or day !__________________________________________________________
Scarecrows line the streets of what Irish town.
Humpback whales appear where for 2nd time in 20 years?
Time to raise our eyes skywards, give thanks, and ask for help !
Here are todays “Magnificent Seven” :
1) Casey at Mulon & Casey, in Paris, France. Your Counties
Kildare, Wicklow and Carlow books have shipped !
2) Welcome new member Maureen Donnelly, of Iowa City, IA.
searching: Cody Donnelly Gilfillan Carter
Parents on both sides orphaned, so no one had any information..
3) James Reynolds of Sunnyvale, CA, your Meath and Passenger
list book have shipped !
4) Jon- Michael Sherry of Oakville, Canada your Co. Monaghan
genealogy book has shipped !
5) Marcia Mulcahy of Cape Girardeau, MO, your Irish Families
great & small, book has shipped !
6) Kathryn Cunningham of Alexandria, VA your County Cork
genealogy and family history notes has shipped !
7) Welcome new member Ellen McWade of Hanover, MA. (6)
Check out our online search list at:
Thanks to all of our members – without you these
podcasts would not be possible – !
Sponsors are welcome and needed.
Irish Family Name of the Day:
Todays family history in honor of :
Gold Member Richard Noone of Salem, Mass.
gr grandfather Bernard Noone from Galway approx. 1880
Possible Related Spellings of the Name:
Noon, Noonen, Noonan, O’Noonan, Noonane
Varient Spelling Groups: #2861…
From The Guide to the Various Spellings of Irish Family Names
History of the Name
The Rev. Woulfe gives several possible origins for ‘Noone’.
The first is from ‘Nuada’ taken from an ancient sea god. He
gives it as the surname of a family of County Sligo descended
from Niall of the Nine Hostages. They were located near
the town of Sligo, in the parish of Calry. He also gives that in
his day, the final ‘n’ in the name was slender.
He also gives the name as a variant of Noonan, or O’Nonan, etc..
coming from ‘O Nuanain’ particularly outside of the province
John O’Donovan, in his ‘Tribes Customs and Genealogies of the
Hy Fiachrach’ also cites O’Nuadhain, but says it was gone from
the area of Calry in his day.
We have one John Noone in our ‘Names of Irish Passengers to
America’, and his ship arrived from Belfast.
Counties Galway, Roscommon and Mayo were most numerous
with the name in the 19th century.
copyright 2010, IGF, based in part upon
The Book of Irish Families, great and small
Irish Family Coats of Arms From the Irish Book of Arms
A Brief search in that work shows:
1) Not found in the Irish Book of Arms.
Coming Up Later in this episode:
Baltimore, Co. Cork video, today, after the 1631 pillage….
The Free Master online index at www.Irishroots.com shows:
Listings for the name several times, here are a few examples:
1) Noone in the Birth Index of Ireland
2) Noone in Irish Names and Surnames by Woulfe
3) Noone in Tribes, Customs and Genealogies of Hy Fiachrach
4) Noone in Families of County Limerick, Ireland
5) Noone in Families of County Galway, Ireland
6) Noone in Co. Roscommon and Co. Sligo genealogy…notes.
7) Noone in Co. Mayo, Ireland, genealogy and family history notes.
You can use this free index to search for your family name:
Remember to leave off the Mac or O when typing your name.
Around the World, in Irish Ways.
The Web Page and Video of the Month.
1) Peter Noone starring with Hermans Hermits. (video).
2) Noone family genealogy resources
3) Baltimore, Co. Cork and O’Driscoll Clan gathering to music video !
4) Irish Humpback and fin whales off Irish coast (video)
see also our Irish Video Shorts at:
Curious News and Notes, From Ireland today
1) For just the 2nd time in 20 years, Humpback whale seen off east coast.
2) Susan Denham is Irelands first chief justice. She is the daughter of
former Irish Times editor, Douglas Gageby, whose father was born in
3) Scarecrows line streets of Durrow for Irelands Friendship Festival.
4) Only 1% of National Library of Irelands holdings stored properly.
Eight million items include books, etchings and maps….
5) Cobh, Co. Cork, celebrates return of Irish Australian descendants
or was that some of the 26,500 Irish convicts sent to Australia
6) Thank goodness the Dublin naked bike ride was shut down by the
garda, but it appears shocking that 93 went ahead with the feat in Cork
on a Saturday night !
…….So end the notes from the Irish Hedge Row today.
You can see the entire series at www.Irishroots.com.
Advertisers and sponsors welcome.
The Worlds Leading audio source for Irish Genealogy
The Irish Roots Cafe has 7 Broadcast series & 250 episodes
You can reach the Irish Roots Cafe on Twitter; Facebook;
www.IrishRoots.com; and by mail at our U.S. location:
The Irish Roots Cafe
Kansas City, Missouri 64116
Leave a message on our Phone (816) 256-3360
Contact us for speaking engagements,
exhibits, and educational events. Since 1984.
©2011 IGF, This information is intended
for personal non-commercial use only.
About Your Host
Mike descends from the O’Loughlins of Kilfenora, County Clare,
and the O’Donahues of Glenflesk, County Kerry. He also bears
Sullivan, Buckley, Kilmartin, Llewellyn and Kelliher roots.
A one of a kind resource, he is the most published author
his field, including books; newsletters; podcasts; CD’s & videos.
His books, publications, and podcasts are found at:
Learn More About the Irish Hedge School online at:
Comments Off on Noone genealogy; Galway, Ireland; Irish news & notes