The Lynching of Danny Boy
www.Irishroots.com The Irish roots Cafe…….
Irish Song: Traditional & Sean Nós……
Danny Boy & me………
Every time out on holidays where you might find
old Irish songs being sung, I hear people say,
as I once did, ‘Oh, all that Danny Boy @!%#* ‘
Well, here is what I was told many decades ago,
and I kindly repeat it when the occasion arises.
( I know that some do not sing the song well,
and some do not show it respect when they sing it.
But this is about the song, not the singer.
This is to say why so many people respect it yet today,
despite the scornful ridicule heaped upon them.)
Taken From the liner notes to “Irish Song…“
“Oi, Mike O’Laughlin! Legal os vocais, gostamos! Parabéns!”
— Geelumusic, São Paulo, Brasil., RN
Foolishly, I once remarked to my mother how out of touch and sentimental the old Irish songs were. Well, I was taught a quick lesson on that. It was not just the song itself, which was sung by people who lived a much harder life than I had. It was not just about our family who came from Ireland with the old ways. It was about all the people, all the times- good and bad, and the gatherings that went with it. From 19th century immigrant songs to Tin Pan Alley, the Irish way with a song was still with us – it was just growing in a different direction and with good reason ! My Lord, I stood on the shoulders of giants! From that moment on I realized why these songs touched the soul of millions of people, and I slandered them no more…. (I now understood, and included ‘Danny Boy’ on my first album, some 40 years later).
“Dear Mike, What a beautiful vocals, touches my heart…”
— Ryo Utasato (Tokio, Japan), RN
I have no more to add, but am thankful
that I had the notion to take a 2nd look….
P.S. The Company He Keeps (#4), Tracks of my album ‘Irish Song..’ below:
Album Sequence; alternate titles; and duration:
1) ‘Sí do mhaimeo í (She’s Your Granny) (Irish Wedding Song) 1:24
2) Come with me Over the Mountain 3:15
3) Óró, Sé do Bheatha ‘Bhaile! (Oro, you are welcome home) ! 2:12
4) Danny Boy 2:49
5) Slán agus Beannacht (Goodby and farewell) 2:24
6) The Boys of Mullaughbawn 3:18
7) Bean Pháidín ( I wanna be Paddys Girl), (Paddys Wife) 1:33
8) The Rocks of Bawn 4:03
9) Sadhbh NÍ Bhruinneallaigh (1:53
10) The Farmer Michael Hayes 3:00
11) Skibbereen 6:12
12) An t-Úll (The Apple) 2:17
13) My Name is Paddy Leary (Off to Philadelphia) 4:05
14) Róisin Dubh (My Little Black Rose) 2:34
15) The Kelly Song; (Too Many Kelleys) 2:21