Irish Roots Cafe: Genealogy and History. week 109
Among Todays Topics:
1) The Irish Family Name of the Week is: Hyland
2) Stonehenge find in Ireland
3) The Book of the Month is: The Irish Book of Arms
4) Irish Song and Recitation Festival is on the air !
5) Video of the Month: Irish Tartan Lies
6) A Return to Irish Roots DVD launched !
7) Irish Roots Fan page on Facebook.
Timeline for this weeks audio broadcast at www.Irishroots.com
This Weeks Topics: 1:25
Notes from Mike: 2:04
Book of the Month: 6:11
The Magnificent Seven: 7:36
Irish Name of the Day: 9:04
Websites of the Week: 12:58
Curious News and Notes: 14:03
Run Time: 20:14
I’m Mike O’Laughlin, your host.
Check out the written shownotes on my blog:
Search all of our
and podcasts for free !
Phone 816 256-3360 to leave your comments on my recorder….
TRY IT YOU’LL LIKE IT !
Notes This Week:
1) I have started up a page on FACEBOOK for Irish Roots Fans, so if you
are there stop by. Name of the group is ‘Irish Roots Fans’ at:
2) Completed an interview with Jason Van Orden, which began with
an inquiry on Twitter. We talk about using ‘new media’ in starting
up a community on the web, and about my Irish Roots Cafe on the web.
My Twitter user name is: IrishRootsCafe
3) We have begun the Irish Song and recitation festival podcast !
I will sing my first song, let’s say rehearsal for the new CD to come….
Listen to Irish Song and Recitation on Irishroots.com or iTunes:
On my web page at: http://www.irishroots.com/podcast3/rss.xml
iTunes tag: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=269126035
4) Our new Return to Irish Roots DVD launched successfully last week.
Lots of genealogy, one of each of our audio podcast series, and a travelogue
from the old days from us. Sort of a starting course on Irish Heritage !
This covers most of the types of things we have done to date, and would
also be a fun gift to someone who wants to know more about being Irish….
On our web page: http://www.irishroots.com/dvd1.htm
At Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Return-Irish-Roots-Genealogy-Interactive/dp/B0020DIF8Y/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1
Book of the Month:
The Irish Book of Arms
Including video: Irish Family Tartan Lies!
Watch Video on Irish Book of Arms page:
Easter Saturday and a Fish….
Time to raise our eyes skywards, give thanks, and ask for help !
Here are todays “Magnificent Seven” :
1) New Member Florence Duheme of Schenectady, NY – Welcome
2) Jim Sterling of Napa, California, your birth index has shipped.
3) William Cooper of Kahuku, HI, your ‘Return to Irish Roots’ DVD has shipped
4) Gerard P. Drew, of Cocoa, Florida your Co. Cavan genealogy book shipped.
5) Tony Kennington of Cambridgeshire, UK, your Kilkenny genealogy shipped
6) New Member Robyn M. Moore of Essex Junction, VT. Welcome !
7) Zane D. Perry of Virginia Beach, VA, your Co. Kerry genealogy book shipped
Check out our online search list at:
Thanks to all of our members – without you these
podcasts would not be possible – !
Irish Family Name of the Day:
Todays family history in honor of member:
Kimberly H. Ethridge searching for Hyland family, of Philadelphia, PA
Related Spellings of the Name
Hylan, Hylane, Hylan
Varient Spelling Groups: #2047, 944
(Taken from the Master Guide to the Various Spellings
of Irish Family Names) http://www.irishroots.com/id4918.htm
History of the Name
Early records find this family in Waterford, and subsequently in the
surrounds of Co. Kilkenny. The 1890 birth index finds the family name
spelled as Hyland most numerous in Mayo, Dublin and Queens.
When spelled as Hiland the name is given most often in Co. Antrim.
copyright 2007, IGF, based in part upon
The Book of Irish Families, great and small
Irish Family Coats of Arms
Here is some of the information given in the Irish Book of Arms
1) None found as Hyland
Coming Up Later in this episode:
New Science said to have uncovered an Irish Stonehenge…..
The Free Master Index Search of Irish Names
at Irishroots.com finds the family name 28 times
including the following examples :
1) Hylane – Co. Tipperary genealogy and family history book.
2) Francis Hyland – J. 24
3) Hyland aka Whelan.
4) Hylan and Hylane in the 1659 census of Ireland
5) Hyland in the Birth index of Ireland
6) Hyland in the Families of Co. Dublin Ireland
7) also in Antrim, Waterford, Mayo, Kilkenny books…….
Websites of the Week:
1) Hyland Family Genealogy Forum.
2) Easter Saturday and a Funeral for a Fish !
3) Secrets of the Stones – Stonehenge at Tara
Curious News and Notes
1) ‘Secrets of the Stones’ is a special being shown on RTE.
They have found evidence of a large wooden structure similar to
2) Leap of faith as crowds flock to fish shops and church services.
Spiritual needs to the fore as hard times descend ?
3) Mayor Pat Crotty of Kilkenny city says it great to have something to
celebrate as the city turns 400 years old !
4) The World Irish Dancing Championships were held in Philidelphia this
weekend, for the first time ever in the U.S.
Sean McDonagh, chairman for the commission, said the decision to move the competition to Philadelphia was based on the availability of facilities, including accommodation options, but also because Americans make up 75 per cent of competitors registered for this year’s championships.
5) Irish women are the pickiest in Europe when it comes to love.
They demand intelligence, optimism and virility and then some…
as if we all didn’t know that already…
6) Alan Healy and Bebhinn O’Keeffe it seems, met for the first time and
married minutes later as part of “Two Strangers and A Wedding” promotion –
part of a social experiment by a Waterford radio station ! Including a free
honeymoon in Portugal and a house in Wexford for 6 months.
Remember to send your comments by clicking the
‘contact’ link on our web page at www.irishroots.com
or send by mail to our American address:
The Irish Roots Cafe
Kansas City, Missouri 64116
Leave your message or report on things in your part
of the world, when you call my phone recorder at:
Skype me at: IrishRootsCafe
Find me on MySpace at: Irish Roots Cafe
Find me on Facebook at: Mike O’Laughlin
on Twitter as IrishRootsCafe: http://twitter.com/IrishRootsCafe
Members foot the bill so they get first priority –
but we are open to all ! (By the way – a BIG thank
you to all of our members !).
….and away…… !
Leave me feedback on iTunes, Click on the link below to get to my shows!
Then Click on show logos to leave feedback.
About Your Host
A one of a kind resource, Mike is the most published author
his field including numerous hard bound books; guides;
newsletters; podcasts; videos and hundreds of articles.
Today, he hosts the first weekly broadcast on Irish Family
History at www.Irishroots.com
The founder of the Irish Roots Cafe, he also publishes
great works of history, including ‘The Annals of Ireland by
the Four Masters’; and Keatings ‘History of Ireland’.
He recently completed the Irish Families Project,
a 34 book set on Irish Family History, published by the Irish
Get All 5 of my Free Broadcasts click below:
– Irish Roots Cafe: Genealogy and History:
– Irish Families Worldwide – ENHANCED VERSION – (Quicktime required)
– Irish in America: http://www.irishroots.com/content/view/98/154/
– Irish Song: http://www.irishroots.com/content/view/99/153/
– Irish Roots Cafe Videos: http://www.irishroots.com/irishvideo/rss.xml _________________________________________________________
Comments Off on Hyland, Irish Stonehenge, Song Festival, Facebook