Irish Family History and Genealogy Shownotes. episode 129
From the Irish Roots Cafe at www.Irishroots.com
Among Todays Topics:
1) Maloney is the Irish Family Name of the Day
2) My Right Foot….found
3) Getting Irish Citizenship
4) Convicts to Australia
5) Grandparents Pilgramage to …..
6) Donegal Designer Shoes
7) Lessons from the Irish Hedge School
Timeline for this weeks audio broadcast:
This Weeks Topics: 1:05
Notes from Mike: 1:54
Book of the Month: 8:55
The Magnificent Seven: 9:30
Irish Name of the Day: 12:00
Websites of the Week: 16:18
Curious News and Notes: 17:45
Total Time: 23:28
Notes This Week:
1) The big news around here is the upcoming launch of
“Lessons from the Irish Hedge Row” or “Irish Hedgerow History
Lessons: People, Places, Events ant Travel” as I think we will list
it as on iTunes.
This new broadcast series, is our 6th, and we think you will
like it. We have lessons of interest to everyone, including
family researchers. Our first show will announce the upcoming
series, and should be available at www.Irishroots.com this week.
It will probably take a week or two for approval to appear on
I think we will, here and now, give our listeners today a preview
of the first podcast announcement for this Hedge School series.
You will will have to listen to this podcast to hear it now !
(Listen to todays podcast to hear our audio excerpt)
We will keep you posted on upcoming episodes. We already have
Brian Boru, The Great Irish Famine, Devalera and Irish Political
parties on the agenda ! Be sure to subscribe to this one as soon as
it is released, which will be very soon !
Books of the Month:
1) Families of County Donegal Ireland
2) County Donegal, Ireland, genealogy and family history notes.
We Have a Blog Reader and a Podcast !
We have added a blog reader to this blog. The blog reader
is a computerized reader, that simply reads this blog, turning
it into audio. Our podcast is completely different ! I am the
host and it has some things not included on the blog.
To go to my broadcast page for podcasts go to Irishroots.com
What exploded in the skies over Ireland ?
Time to raise our eyes skywards, give thanks, and ask for help !
Here are todays “Magnificent Seven” :
1) Kelly Marcuzzi of Victoria, Australia your Co. Dublin Genealogy
… book has shipped.
2) Sister Sylvia of Milwaukee, WI, your Co. Mayo Genealogy book
3) Michael Cooper of Upminster, UK your Irish Genealogies has
4) Benjamin O’Connor of Perth, Australia, your Galway genealogy
book has shipped.
5) Austin Leahy of Lady Lake, FL, your 1659 census has shipped.
6) David Madden of Ridgewood, NJ, your Co. Mayo genealogy book
7) Richard Milligan of Apache, AZ welcome as a new member !
Check out our online search list at:
Thanks to all of our members – without you these
podcasts would not be possible – !
Irish Family Name of the Day:
Todays family history in honor of member: Maureen Maloney
Related Spellings of the Name
O’Malony, Mawloney, Meloney, Melony, Moloney, Mullowney
Varient Spelling Groups: 2510
(Taken from the Master Guide to the Various Spellings
of Irish Family Names) http://www.irishroots.com/id4918.htm
History of the Name
From the Irish ‘O Maoldhomhnaigh’ (servant of the church).
The O’Molonys were a Dalcassion sept of Kiltanon, by Tulla, in
the eastern part of Co. Clare. They are found in Keatings history
and given as follows : ”The O’Moloneys were chiefs of Cuiltenan,
now the parish of Kiltonanlea in the barony of Tully, County of
Clare. They remain in the Clare, Limerick and Tipperary regions.
The Irish Book of Arms give one “Molony of Cragg, Co. Clare.”
This line traces itself back to John O’Molony who died in 1610,
and whose motto is given as “In Domino et non in arcu meo s
perabo.” One Alfred Molony of that family is cited.
copyright 2007, IGF, based in part upon
The Book of Irish Families, great and small
Irish Family Coats of Arms
Here is some of the information given in the Irish Book of Arms
1) Found in the Irish Book of Arms plate #207. Azure, on the
dexter side a quiver of three arrows, on the sinister a bow erect
Coming Up Later in this episode:
Tax Free Status in Ireland
The Free Master Index Search of Irish Names
at Irishroots.com finds the family name 35 times
including the following examples :
1) Maloney arms in The Families of County Clare, Ireland
2) The Families of Co. Kerry, and Families of Limerick
3) O’Maloney in the Irish Book of Arms
4) Cornelius Maloney obituary (J13).
5) Malooney in King James Irish Army List
6) Maloney in Irish Families on the California Trail.
7) Maloney in ‘Missouri Irish’
Websites of the Week:
1) Maloney Genealogy Queries
2) Looking for Convicts to Australia ?
(hat tip to Gould Genealogy)
3) Huge Explosion over skies in Ireland
4) Getting Irish Citizenship Through Your Irish Ancestors
Curious News and Notes
1) My Right Foot.
2,000 year old feet found in the attic
Two right feet were found while renovating the attic of a house
in south Dublin. One of a child, the other of an adult….
2) Annual Grandparents Pilgramage to Knock, Co. Mayo
3) Titantic themed hotel planned in Belfast….. now is that a
4) Calling all Greaney family members. Say hello to your cousins.
Siobhan & Noel Greaney of Oranmore, Co. Galway win 9.8 million.
5) Irish writers, musicians and artists have been tax free, but…
all that may change as the recession hits…
6) If the Choo fits……. designer Donegal Tweed Boots launched
Remember to send your comments by clicking the
‘contact’ link on our web page at www.irishroots.com
or send by mail to our American address:
The Irish Roots Cafe
Kansas City, Missouri 64116
Leave your message or report on things in your part
of the world, when you call my phone recorder at:
Skype me at: IrishRootsCafe
MySpace at: Irish Roots Cafe
Facebook at: Mike O’Laughlin
Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/groups.php?ref=sb
Twitter as IrishRootsCafe
Leave me feedback on iTunes, Click on the link below to get to my shows!
Then Click on show logos to leave feedback.
©2009 Irish Roots Cafe, Michael C. O’Laughlin
About Your Host
A one of a kind resource, Mike is the most published author
his field including numerous hard bound books; guides;
newsletters; podcasts; videos and hundreds of articles.
Today, he hosts the first weekly broadcast on Irish Family
History at www.Irishroots.com
The founder of the Irish Roots Cafe, he also publishes
great works of history, including ‘The Annals of Ireland by
the Four Masters’; and Keatings ‘History of Ireland’.
He recently completed the Irish Families Project,
a 34 book set on Irish Family History, published by the Irish
Get All 5 of my Free Broadcasts click below:
– Irish Roots Cafe: Genealogy and History:
– Irish Families Worldwide – ENHANCED VERSION – (Quicktime required)
– Irish in America: http://www.irishroots.com/content/view/98/154/
– Irish Song: http://www.irishroots.com/content/view/99/153/
– Irish Roots Cafe Videos: http://www.irishroots.com/irishvideo/rss.xml _________________________________________________________