Irish Roots Cafe: Genealogy and History Shownotes. week 104
Among Todays Topics:
1) Boland is the name of the Day
2) Erin’s Sons in Canada is the Book of the Day.
3) Pay Toliets IN FLIGHT !!?!
4) Slumdog Irish Director
5) Facebook and MySpace connection
6) Wealthiest and Poorest Counties in Ireland
7) St. Louis Irish is one of todays Videos.
Timeline for this weeks audio broadcast:
This Weeks Topics: 1:15
Notes from Mike: 2:25
Book of the Month: 4:18
The Magnificent Seven: 6:05
Irish Name of the Day: 8:11
Websites of the Week: 12:33
Curious News and Notes:13:31
Get All 5 of my Free Broadcasts click below:
– Irish Roots Cafe: Genealogy and History:
– Irish Families Worldwide – ENHANCED VERSION – (Quicktime required)
– Irish Roots Cafe Videos: http://www.irishroots.com/irishvideo/rss.xml
Notes This Week:
1) A reminder, I am now trying out these social networks online:
on Facebook: Mike O’Laughlin
on MySpace: Irish Roots Cafe
2) I am working on putting some dvds or cds together right now.
Amazing what can be done on the computer. I have converted
our first travel video, from one of the first groups I led to Ireland,
into digital form. It is primitive by todays standard, but I think
I will share it with you on dvd along with a few other things…..
One dvd will even be of some old Irish songs we’ve dug up here at the
cafe, and have previously only been heard late at night on stage
here….. a rare treat indeed !
Book of the Month:
Erin’s Sons, Irish Arrivals in Atlantic Canada 1761-1853. v.2
Terrence M. Punch
Covering the provinces of Newfoundland and Labrador,
Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia and
also lists 7,000 Irish arrivals in Atlantic Canada before 1853.
The sources are varied including lists of runaways and deserters,
convicts and indentured servants.
197 pages, indexed, paperback. $30 plus $5 shipping.
Order directly from:
3600 Clipper Mill Rd. Suite 260
Baltimore, MD. 21211
( note: this is not a book we publish or sell, contact as shown )
Tara Logan Buckley was named what honor recently ?
Time to raise our eyes skywards, give thanks, and ask for help !
Here are todays “Magnificent Seven” :
1) Jean Raborg of Pocomoke, MD
Your County Galway Genealogy and Family History Book shipped !
2) Thomas Quinn of Tunkhannock, PA
Your Kings County Offaly and Queens County genealogy shipped !
3) C. Allsopp of Guernsey, Channel Islands,
Your County Cork Genealogy and Family History Notes Shipped !
4) Jamie Haeuser of Robert, Louisiana
Your County Mayo, Genealogy and Family History Notes Shipped !
5) Marie Molloy of Winfield, BC, Canada
Your County Cavan Genealogy and Family History Notes Shipped !
6) Wayne Holznagel of Mitchell, SD
Your County Antrim Genealogy and Family History Notes shipped !
7) Gerald Tarsnane of Bronx, NY.
Your County Clare Genealogy and Family History Notes shipped !
Check out our online search list at:
Thanks to all of our members – without you these
podcasts would not be possible – !
Irish Family Name of the Day:
Todays family history in honor of member: Michelle Wesson
Related Spellings of the Name
Bolan, Bowland, Bullion, Beolan, Beolane, O Beollain
Varient Spelling Groups: #125; 2107;
(Taken from the Master Guide to the Various Spellings
of Irish Family Names) http://www.irishroots.com/id4918.htm
History of the Name
O’Beollain was the more ancient spelling of the name of O’Boland
or Bolan in Ireland. It is seldom found with the ‘O’ prefix and is
found both as Bolan and Boland……..
There appears to be at least two separate origins of the name. In
Co. Sligo they are found centered at Doonalton, in the barony of
Tireragh. The family is also found at Drumcliff, in the barony of
Carbury in Sligo in connection with St. Columbans church…….
copyright 2007, IGF, based in part upon
The Book of Irish Families, great and small
Irish Family Coats of Arms
Here is some of the information given in the Irish Book of Arms
1) illustrated arms are given.
2) O’Hart gives the arms of the Bolands of Ulster as : Sa. three
fleurs-de-lis ar., and the crest as: A church and spire ppr.
Coming Up Later in this episode:
Last year it was ‘Guinness and Oyster’ for best pizza,
what will it be this year ?
The Free Master Index Search of Irish Names
at Irishroots.com finds the family 17 times
including the following examples :
1) O’Boland in the Annals of Ireland by the Four Masters
2) M. O’Boland in Irish Knighthoods…….
3) Boland in ‘Irish Genealogies’
4) Boland in the Birth Index of Ireland
5) Boland in the Families of County Clare, Ireland
6) Boland in the Families of County Kerry, Ireland
7) O’Boland in County Sligo Genealogy and Family History (v.24)
Websites of the Week:
1) Boland Queries
2) Ryanair interview about pay toliets on board flights.
3) St. Louis Irish Video (#13 from the Irish Roots Cafe)
Available on this page: http://www.irishroots.com/id4263.htm
Curious News and Notes
1) Ryanair, the budget Irish airline, is considering charging
for using the toliet during flight. Putting a coin slot on the doors.
The cost would be a pound.
2) New Irish Pizza from Dublin includes Cashel blue cheese;
Jameson Whiskey; bacon; apple; and Clonakilty black pudding.
It is called Jameson and Black. Mr. Carroll had a pizza last year
that was named Irelands best, and that was a ‘Guinness and Oyster’
combination. This years contest is in Las Vegas in March.
More about this and the Bistro Bianconi in Dublin:
3) Tara Logan Buckley of Ballinhassig has been named
“Britains Next Plus Model”, winning out in a field of almost 500.
4) Dublin is the wealthiest county and Donegal the poorest
according to recent study. Limerick, Kildare and Meath were
also above average.
5) Dr. Timothy Dolan has been named as archbishop of New York
serving about 2.5 million parishoners with almost 400 churches.
6) If you watched the academy awards, then you saw Danny Boyle
get the Best Director award. He has roots in Ballinasloe, Co. Galway.
He was director for the film ‘Slumdog’.
Remember to send your comments by clicking the
‘contact’ link on our web page at www.irishroots.com
or send by mail to our American address:
The Irish Roots Cafe
Kansas City, Missouri 64116
Leave your message or report on things in your part
of the world, when you call my phone recorder at:
Skype me at: IrishRootsCafe
Find me on MySpace at: Irish Roots Cafe
Find me on Facebook at: Mike O’Laughlin
Members foot the bill so they get first priority –
but we are open to all ! (By the way – a BIG thank
you to all of our members !).
….and away…… !
Leave me feedback on iTunes, Click on the link below to get to my shows!
Then Click on show logos to leave feedback.
About Your Host
A one of a kind resource, Mike is the most published author
his field including numerous hard bound books; guides;
newsletters; podcasts; videos and hundreds of articles.
Today, he hosts the first weekly broadcast on Irish Family
History at www.Irishroots.com
The founder of the Irish Roots Cafe, he also publishes
great works of history, including ‘The Annals of Ireland by
the Four Masters’; and Keatings ‘History of Ireland’.
He recently completed the Irish Families Project,
a 34 book set on Irish Family History, published by the Irish